Monday, November 24, 2008

What an exciting weekend!

Oh man, I tell you, I am LOVING living the big-city life. I know, I know, if you live in New York, or even LA, you are totally laughing at me right now. But, come on! I lived in Cornfieldville, IN for 70% of my life! In a way, I think everyone who lives in a city sort of feels like that. There's just something so fun about being around so many people in a condensed location. It's so easy to meet people and expand your network--to meet people interested in the same things as you.

So, that being said, despite the insanity which has been my life lately, I was able to squeeze in some recreational time on Saturday night. My friend, Greg, had a housewarming party. Prior to that I was able to bake some homemade biscotti that I brought with me as a gift. I'll bring it to Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, too. While there I met TONS of interesting people. My word. Greg works for this company called Charisma Arts which, just like it sounds, teaches people how to meet others and, well, have charisma. So... that means, when you get a bunch of people that work with him or in similar capacity you have every guy who comes by himself and enters a room full of strangers walking right up to everyone and saying, "Hello! I'm Fred!" Literally, the social skills of these people were incredibly impressive.

Then, I saw some old friends that I hadn't seen in awhile, which was nice, and was introduced to some new friends who, guess what? LOVE FASHION! YAY! YAY! YAY! You can imagine that given this post, I was ecstatic to the Nth degree. I was wearing my Tory Burch boots and, when I got introduced to this girl at the party, Kady, she recognized they were by her right away. Hallelujah!

Turns out she is a jewelry designer for a company called Liz Palacios Designs in San Francisco, as well as makes her own jewelry. She was wearing some delicious Gucci boots and we spent the evening discussing our favorite designers and recent fashion events in the city. So... I'm delighted I finally know one other person incredibly interested in the topic of fashion.

And, considering our enthusiasm on the subject, other people were drawn into the conversation and I met even more people who were interested in fashion--who'd actually been at the Gen Art show a few weeks ago. Crazy, huh? I love it!

And then, Sunday, I made a muslin of my jacket for class (which is only okay) just after I designed and made a gorgeous lace circle skirt!!! I'd seen this lace and maroon charmuese last week and, since the lace trend has been back for fall, couldn't resist putting them together. (I LOVE LACE!)

I also finished a long sweater pattern modification and leggings (from a pattern) this weekend, too. I'll get pics up after Thanksgiving (I'm going to LA and won't have time before or during to get them up). I'm still working on knitting a brown sweater that should be fantastic by the time I'm done with it. Hopefully, after this week, I'll have finished tons of projects, because the drive to LA always allows me to finish hand sewing things and knitting things. And, I'll be buying TONS of fabric from vendors in the fashion district while I'm there, among shopping for lots of great deals after Thanksgiving. YAY!

1 Comments:

Anonymous 5:35 PM  

Hey MsKirko, I'm glad you had such a good time at my shindig! I dare say you made my party that much more charismatic. And you definitely made it more fashionable.