Friday, August 12, 2011

Two Seasons Late

As time marches on in my new decade, I hope I'll finally learn what I love and what I hate and never buy clothes that fit badly ever again--choosing quality over quantity.

But, somehow that hasn't happened yet. I'm still not totally sure what my style is and it doesn't help that the trends change so fast I can barely keep up.

I've learned a few things over the years. I don't do tight, body-hugging knits any more--at least not cheap ones. I like knits that are thick and soft and come from J. Crew and Nordstrom. I'm currently in some kind of Jeffrey Campbell shoe fog where I only want to buy shoes he makes or shoes that looks like the ones he makes. I suppose I'm liking flats more and more these days. I am TRYING to keep my closet pared down and only full of items I love.

But the one thing that keeps happening, is I keep figuring out that things are trendy a season or two (or more late). And, I think I'm ok with it.
Take Toms for example. Apparently I'm at least a year late on this one. I JUST NOW noticed that everyone in San Francisco owns a pair. And I want them too. Yes, I know, they are so huge they're probably out, but I'm ok with that. They look cool. And as long as I start wearing them soon, I'll still look a little current. Right?
Last year, I discovered Dr. Martens. They were big for spring, but when did I figure out they were cool and buy them? December last year. Yep. Winter. Late.

But I think I'm ok with that. Maybe that's my thing. I've always been nervous about being the first to wear trends. Always felt weird and self-conscious. There are some things I'll always love and go to, like wide-leg pants, high waists, and maxi skirts. But anything new or, at least, new again, I need time to accept it. Then I can get into it. I'm not an early adopter, but I am more of a "peak of the trend" person. I guess that's what my new decade is all about: accepting that I'm a late trender and being ok with it. Oh yeah, and my birthday was 2 seasons ago. ;-)

0 Comments: