Monday, August 10, 2009

Sale Review: The Barney's Sale


Stars: 1 out of 5

Yep. This sale was disappointing. I mean, yeah, it was cool. They had designer stuff and it was cheaper (not the "-er" on the end of the "cheap"), but overall, I wouldn't spend my money here. I'd be wasting it, after all.

First, you have to trek pretty far to get to the warehouse. And, once you finally arrived they reprimand you for trying to walk in the front (which would make sense) and direct you to the "public entrance" on the right side of the building. So you walk a few more thousand miles (it feels like) to the side and you finally get in.

There were racks and racks of coats, dresses, shirts, pants, shorts, skirts, menswear, womenswear, home stuff, and shoes. It wasn't too crowded when I went (11 am on Saturday).

Clothes were organized by size range, but the selection of clothes was just meh. Pretty okay, I guess, but I wasn't really feeling anything. I suppose you could find one or two nice items there buried.

The shoe selection was abysmal! Sure, they had Loubitons, Chanel, Prada, Manolo, blah blah blah, but almost nothing cute! And, when they had something great--I found a pair of YSL Tribute boots (OMG!), there was only one in the size and it was NOT very discounted (think $1200 from $1800, puh-lease. I can probably get them on ebay for cheaper than that). Not to mention that they looked pre-worn from all the action they've probably seen in the store and at sales. Yick. For only a 30% discount, I would expect better quality.

The home stuff and handbags were a total joke. Awful, awful ugly crap. Why anyone would buy it, not to mention for several hundred dollars, is beyond me. The few handbags that seemed both cute and "affordable" and I mean below $500 affordable, were Barney's co-op brand. I am NOT paying $450 for a co-op handbag that is so friggin' heavy I won't be able to put anything in it! That won't fetch me anything in resale value. Sheesh. At Loehman's or TJ Maxx I could get some serious bling for that kind of money. I won't waste it at this sale.

They get one star for trying. Sure, it's definitely cheaper than retail. But, when retail is marked up 10 to 100 times more than it should be, they could definitely go cheaper than 30% off or even 60% off. And, by the way, I never saw the 60% off stuff. I don't really believe it was there. And, if it was, it was probably damaged. Go to Jeremys, Loehmann's, TJ Maxx, or even Neiman Marcus last call! At least at NMLC you can get an additional discount with the store card, too!

0 Comments: