Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fashion + Victory Gardens = Been There Done That Fashion Show


Wow. This is great. Today I was going to blog about Victory Gardens when I received an email this morning about a Fashion show in SF this Sunday that benefits Victory Gardens! Not only that, but it's recycled fashion! Hooray!

I didn't know I cared about the environment so much, but being a natural DIY-er, I always wanted to grow my own garden. I don't currently have a yard and am on a 5 year waiting list for my local community garden plot. My friend in San Diego recently told me about Victory Gardens. During WWII, people in the US grew Victory Gardens to reduce fuel consumption in the US (so it could be used for the war). According to my friend (and I can't find a source right now, but I'll look it up if you are interested), 40% of the food consumed in the US during WWII came from people's backyards. How great is that? Can you imagine what that would do to fuel consumption now? For people concerned about the environment, this is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.

For people like me who just get a thrill out of doing everything on their own--we are now trendy because DIY is good for the environment. Bonus points if you can the veggies and fruits you grow.

0 Comments: