Monday, October 27, 2008

No more fear of Fall

I'm so glad that I live in California! I am so glad I moved here. This is the first year of my life where I have no fear of Fall.


I'll explain. I hate cold. Hate. It. I don't like snow and I don't like really cold weather. I also dislike heat, especially humidity. My preference is mild, which is why I moved to where it's about 55-80 degrees year round. 

When I lived in Indiana, I welcomed Fall. There were so many things I loved--the weather cooled off, the trees turned color, and I could finally wear my boots again! But, there was always an underarching sense of dread. Dark, cold, snowy weather was impending and it was only a matter of time before it hit and I hated every second of it. 

I spent every winter I lived there hating the weather--hating having to take 5 layers of clothing and coats with me anytime I wanted to go anywhere--especially a club or bar where you'd be dying of heat stroke in a teeny tank top in about 10 minutes. I hated that I had to spend all that winter time indoors. I hated scraping and defrosting my car. And I hated ice. I tried to wear my stilettos no matter what the weather. Most times, it wasn't a problem, but I fell and hurt my wrist once. 

So, 3 months out of the year, I hated it. I hated life. Then the 2 or 3 months of fall leading up to winter I also felt a deep sense of dread and impending doom. I know it sounds dramatic, but the promise of winter heavily tainted the loveliness of fall. 

Last year was the first year I was in California. And, not knowing what to expect, I felt a small amount of that doom carry over in my life here. I liked fall, but was always waiting for what might be the "bad weather" as people here call it--rain and 45 degrees for 2 months or less. As predicted, it wasn't bad at all. So, this is the first Fall where I feel no sense of doom. I am free to enjoy the weather with no fear of what might be coming. I know! And I can handle it! Long gone are those dark days of cold and dread! Hello Fall loveliness!

0 Comments: