Monday, September 29, 2008

The Economy...

What kind of blogger would I be if I didn't mention the recent economic problems?

With headlines like theseFinancial Crisis: The next decade could be our very own Great Depression and Bailout Failure will Cause US Crash it's all sounding very dire.


However, can I just say that, for me, all this is both completely surreal and incredibly fascinating? I mean, I never thought that in my lifetime I would see such an incredible crash in the stock market--one that would send politicians into a panic. One that would affect every western nation. One where stupidity, once again, causes massive problems. Of course you can't give loans to poor people forever and get away with it! Of course! But hindsight is always 20/20.

Even more, for me, I feel immune to the effects. We work in a fairly stable industry--technology. One that is booming despite failures in the financial sector. Even more, I am in probably the most prosperous, job-secure place in the entire US. This is one of the few places where jobs are not just available, but growing. And, since we moved out here, we paid off our debt and saved up expenses, so that, even if something does happen to our jobs, we'll be okay for a little while.

We don't own a house, we barely own 401ks, and, frankly, the economy going down and crashing is FANTASTIC for us because it means that when we start really plugging our money into the stock market starting, well, now, it can only go up. Being young certainly has its advantages during economic crises. When housing prices go down, especially in CA, I have a chance to buy a house at a low rate that will go up in value a lot. And when the stocks rise again, well, so will my portfolio.

So, in a way I watch this partially with glee and partially with fascination. And, it makes me even more aware of how incredibly blessed I am. And how much I will need to aid others in the near future. 




Digg!

0 Comments: