Friday, September 26, 2008

Beloved PVC leggings...

Me and my friend Ellyn
(on me)
Top: Bebe
Leggings: Cutesy Girl (cutesygirl.com)
Shoes: Charlotte Russe

Soooo, I have this pair of PVC leggings that I love. I searched forever before I found a pair cheap (because you know I would never pay more than $20 for something if I can help it).  I also found a pair in silver for super cheap in Indiana. 

Here's the problem. I realized when I lived in Indiana, I dressed up everywhere I went. When I moved here, I noticed Silicon Valley is full of engineers who are huge nerds wiht little fashion sense that only ever dress down. I was once accused of always looking like I was "going to a party" at work (instead of wearing old, worn jeans and a T shirt everyday, I presume). 

I realized something important last week. I'm not casual! I've never really been that casual. I love jeans, but that's as far as it gets. And, for some reason when I moved here, my fashion sense went haywire and I bought a whole wardrobe full of casual clothes. Now I'm obsessed with fashion but confused by seeing it nowhere around me... In Indiana I had to get creative. Here, I have everything accessible, but no one is wearing it! Where are all the fashionable people?

So, my new plan is to dress up more--no matter what the occasion. I don't just want to wear my beloved PVC leggings for "going out." I want to wear them for normal stuff. AND I want it to be okay! I wore the black ones out last night just to get ice cream, so take that Silicon Valley! 

I know in SF, there's fashion--day or night. But I haven't been up there in awhile. I guess I'll have to get there more often. :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous 7:52 PM  

Ms Kirko-

I came across your blog quite at random, and although I would love to develop a writing style/sense such as yours, this particular entry had me twisting my head a bit.

You see, I am a bit of an expert when it comes to the fetish materials, and what it appears you are wearing (from what I can see from the photo) is Lycra, not PVC.

Lycra is shiny but cloth-like, breathes well, hardly makes a sound when worn and can be easily washed.

Leather (calfskin variety) is easily identifiable in its texture and smell, needs special care, and can be matte or shiny (but don't confuse shiny calfskin hide grain with Patent Leather which is a treatment process where it is almost indistinguishable to:

PVC (PolyVinylChloride) or "vinyl" is shiny plastic, doesn't breath, makes squeaky/squelching noises when it is worn, is easy to take care of (wipe down out side, hand wash inside.

Latex/Rubber is the ultimate- can be glass-smooth, does not breath at all, makes very unique noise when worn and has an unmistakeable rubber tire smell (some say oddly like dark chocolate), and requires special care and protection (but worth it- latex is like Opera, if you like it, you'll love it, if you don't, you don't)

Please pass this along to all your friends- the misnomers and confusion are maddening- and you are not alone- alot of those who claim to know fashion are confused as well.