Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Writing 50,000 words in 31 days

Okay, so I am attempting something slightly psycho, but don't worry I already did it once and found out I really could do it.

WOO HOO to me! So, there's this thing I found out about called "National Novel Writing Month" or NaNoWriMo for short. It's basically a challenge to write 50,000 words in one month. The idea is that you start writing with no idea of where your going or any plot and it just creates itself. It gives you insight into the creative process of writing and it also takes the pressure off for the novel to be perfect. Things might not make sense, but you don't have time to go back and change it, so you just make a note and keep plugging away.

I did this last month just to sort of see if I can do it, but the actual Novel Writing Month is November and as such there are lots of writing-related activities where you get together with other people who are as crazy as you to do the same thing. One of the things you can do is go to this fundraising event where you try to write furiously more than you ever have before in 6 hours. It's on November 17, but in order to go, I have to raise $200 for the Office of Letters and Light, it's a charity by the same people who started NaNoWriMo and they help children find their voice in writing the same as me!

Anyway, if you want to donate here's the web address: https://www.firstgiving.com/hannahkirk

If you can't give, don't worry. Just support me in the writing... it has been a harrowing last month, but I finished last night at 50,500 words--give or take. And, don't expect to see me publishing it any time soon, it's just for fun (and honestly, I don't think it was all that great), so if I ever do get around to trying to publish it, it probably won't be for awhile.

0 Comments: