Wednesday, October 31, 2007

EARTHQUAKE!

By now you all probably heard about the Earthquake in Northern California... or maybe not. It was the strongest one since the crazy famous Loma Prieta one in 1989 and the epicenter was only about 8 miles from our house!

I was in our apartment at the time, cooking something on the stove. I heard what I thought was a plane and then it got louder and louder and the building shook a little (but it felt more like it was shaking cuz of the sound than anything else). It took me a few seconds to process what was going on. At first I thought, "Oh that's a funny loud noise" then I thought, "Oh my gosh, it's an earthquake!" I immediately processed that I needed to get under a doorway and the nearest one was the door. So I ran as fast as I could to it. Then I thought, "Actually outside is the safest" so I ran the extra 6 feet to the outside of the building where all my neighbors were outside waiting. By that time it was over. It was really crazy and kind of cool. No major damage happened around here. I live on the first floor so I didn't feel it as much as the people on the second floor did. They said the building was swaying.

Aaron was at a friend's house. They were watching a loud movie so by the time they realized what was happening, it was over. They had a pool, though, so water sloshed out of it--how cool is that?!

About the worst thing that happened was that the cell phone lines were jammed for about 2 hours after. Aaron couldn't get through and neither could I!

If you want to read more about it:
http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN30435739

0 Comments: