Tuesday, June 05, 2007

London vs. San Jose

Okay, so I promised this one a long time ago and here it is. I need to get it out of the way.

Comparison between London and San Jose. Okay, so the reason I would compare these two seemingly opposing places is because my sole adult living experiences outside of Indiana has been in both of these places. Thus, I feel the need to compare them not only to myself, but also to the rest of the world. Ha ha!

Now, in addition to that, it's really weird, but it struck me that there truly are more similarities to London than I originally would have thought. Maybe it's just those things about a city that don't exist in the country, but you can judge for yourself:

Similarities:

  • Go 25, 50, 100, and 200 miles and you can see places you've only seen or heard about in books, but always wanted to visit in person.
  • It's expensive!
  • There is public transportation available--and I mean RAIL transportation
  • There is a HUGE Indian culture in both places. There are tons of Indian groceries, restaurants, and the library even carries bollywood movies
  • Work hours are incredibly flexible
  • Work people don't seem to care about beer/alcohol/wine at lunch or in the office occaisionally
  • There is a great deal of diversity
  • People here seem to work to live even though they work hard, instead of living to work

Differences:

  • The weather! It's 75 degrees during the day and 55 at night. Although, surprisingly this isn't all that different from London during summer...
  • It's far more casual and less fashionable here than London
  • The shopping is familiar
  • People drive way more here than in London

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. Funny, though, eh?

0 Comments: